There once was a time I was super organized. I could remember a doctor’s appointment without writing it down. I memorized my husband’s ever changing work schedule; what store he was working in, what days/hours he worked. Items were never forgotten from my mental grocery list. I could walk into a room with purpose and complete a task with ease. Sticky notes were for the old, senile folks. I didn’t need them; no, not with my trusty brain. And then BAM! I became pregnant with our first and all recollection of anything escaped my memory. I had fallen victim to the very real side effect of motherhood called Mom Brain.
I’ve compiled a list of signs to determine if you too have Mom Brain. Chances are if you have kids you already know and have come to terms that you have this dreaded disease. (There were more signs, but by the time I got to my computer I had forgotten them.)
Signs you may have Mom Brain
- You find the milk in the pantry.
- When asked how old you are (or your kids) you ask what year it is.
- You start telling a story and halfway through you wonder where you were going with it.
- You almost brush your teeth with hemorrhoid cream instead of toothpaste.
- You lose your keys at least 5 times a week.
- You can’t find your phone on the way out the door and it’s actually in your purse/back pocket the whole time.
- You forget to feed your pet ( you think) and do it, only to actually remember later that you had done it in the first place.
- You don’t remember what you had for dinner the night before…or if you actually ate dinner (you know, with the struggle of getting your kids to eat).
- You don’t remember why you walked back into the kitchen so you turn around and go back to what you’re doing only to remember later that you had food in the oven. Now it’s burnt.
- I forget…Let’s just leave it at 9.
Real Life Stories of Mom Brain:
“I once locked myself out of the house and left my 6 month old daughter inside in her car seat. Luckily the back window was unlocked, so I drug a cooler from the garage around to stand on and had to climb through the window.” Mom of Two
“One time I forgot to pack diapers in the ‘diaper bag’ and my daughter had a ‘cut-off-her-onesie’ kind of blow out. We had to rig up a size 5 diaper leftover from her sister.” First time mom plus a toddler
“I started a bath for the kids, went to start making lunches for the next day and completely forgot about the bathtub until it started overflowing a bit (Kids were NOT in there yet ;))” Mom of 3 healthy & safe kids
“I took the kids for a walk and couldn’t remember the code for the key-less entry when we got back. Then when we got inside I couldn’t remember the alarm code.” Nicole, NicoleBanuelos.com
“We used the Dr. Brown’s bottles. I made a bottle for the baby without putting the insert in and it leaked all over him and me! I was so pissed and didn’t realize why until my husband pointed it out!” Mom of Two
“My son choked on his formula, face red and no crying. I threw him at my husband who hit his back making him cough and he was fine. My husband then yelled at me because I’m a nurse and did nothing but cry.” ER nurse & mom of one
You guys are on Twitter, right? #MomBrain
@_mommywinetime says “Mom brain is real. I had to Google “how long do I cook minute rice for?”
@cbarnes32 says “When you put coffee creamer in your toddlers chocolate milk…”
@JessieMSantala says “Made a bagel. Couldn’t find it. Realized I ate it. Now I’m sad.”
@GTSallie1 says “When you get to work and you’re holding the diaper bag instead of your purse. Monday = 1, Me = 0”
@edenkellnerdgfg says “You know you’re a mom when you find a new set of binkies still in the package put away with the frozen foods.”
Have a funny story to share? Leave it in the comments below! ??