One of my goals for this new year is to pay more attention to my husband and our relationship. Having babies and kids can really suck the life out of a relationship. Little people are so demanding and require so much of your attention leaving your significant other sitting on the sidelines feeling neglected. Another reason my husband and I don’t go out and date each other very often is because it can get pretty pricey. Dinner, a movie, paying the babysitter, etc. can take up a big chunk of our budget that honestly should go somewhere else. So this year I’ve decided to get a little creative and even schedule out our 1-on-1 time so that we make sure it happens! I’m rounding up some date night ideas that we would actually do.
First let’s talk about money saving tips. Have you heard about Groupon and Ebates? Well they’re going to be your best friends here. Ebates is a FREE membership website (and app) that allows you to earn cash back on your purchases. Seriously it’s free and they pay you. You can’t go wrong. Before making any online purchases to the large chain stores including Amazon, Kohl’s, Old Navy, Groupon, and Sephora, you would simply log in to your account, find your retailer and shop. That’s it. It tracks your purchase and will calculate the agreed upon percentage of cash back. You can also earn money on in-store purchases. Simply add your credit card to your Wallet. Sign up here using my referral link – Sign Me Up!
So now on to Groupon. (Ebates is currently offering 9% cash back on Groupon purchases and 20% off local deals with code: WINTER20) The Local tab offers so many great options for date ideas under the categories Beauty and Spa (think couples massage), Things to Do, Food and Drink (hello dinner date or even happy hour with the hubby). Sign Me Up for Groupon!
Here are some great ideas I found just using Groupon alone:
- Beer/Wine Tasting – There are usually several of these types of offers available! Grab a few when the Ebates cash back is high!
- Paint Night – You don’t have to be an artist to enjoy this. Actually, it’s better that you’re not. There’s no one you’re more comfortable with that your significant other, so have fun, mock each other’s paintings and enjoy the BYOB 😉
- Sporting Event – I am not a sports person AT ALL. But I will go with my husband to a game. I’m easily allured with a night out, a beer, and people watching.
- Ice Skating – tis the season for hot chocolate, cuddling up with your spouse, and scraping each other off the ice.
- Cinema Bar & Grill – Dinner and a movie all at once. Best part? You just saved on 2 hours of a babysitter by combining both things in one sitting.
- Spa Day or Couples Massage – At the end of last year I was saddled with almost 2 weeks worth of use-it-or-lose-it PTO hours. Take one of these days and have a day date during the week with your S.O.! If you’re working parents the babysitter is already covered!
- Ice Cream Date for 2 – Share a large cup of ice cream for a super cheap date. Or if sharing isn’t your thing, grab your own with a Groupon voucher!
- Dinner – Obviously right? There are always coupons available for large chain restaurants. Another great option is trying out one of the little local eateries. It doesn’t need to be fancy! We’re well passed the age where money impresses us. You know what impresses me most? Being able to pay the bills. A casual dinner for two minus the whining will do just fine.
- Watch a movie at home – Netflix! The kids are in bed. Grab a blanket and cuddle up on the couch with a movie! This one is more of a struggle for us only because my husband loves Sci-Fi, Super Hero type movies and I’m more of a easy, romantic comedy type of a girl. Occasionally though we do find one that has a little bit of each to agree on. We’ll also take turns picking the movie if we can’t agree. I’ll suffer through an odd Sci-Fi movie if he’ll watch the girliest chic flick ever made. 😉
- Go to the gym together – It’s prime “get your pre-baby body back” season. The gym memberships are cheeeeappp! (You just may want to wait until February to start going when all the New Year’s Resolution people drop off. LOL) My husband and I just joined a new local gym together and plan to occasionally go at night after the kids are in bed. Grab a high school aged babysitter and get your fitness on! End the night with a hot, steamy shower 😉