New year, new goals. Every January we are given the chance to wipe the slate clean and start fresh. Like many other people, my big goal this year is to get back to a place where I feel comfortable in my own body again. Big diet fads aren’t my style. I want to make life changes; something that is realistic and attainable. Snacking is where my biggest weakness lies, but after much searching I’ve settled on some snack alternatives that satisfy usually any craving I may have.
Snacks with a Crunch
Sometimes all you crave is something salty and crunchy. Instead of reaching for potato chips try on of these:
- air-popped popcorn
- kale chips
- roasted almonds with sea salt
- veggie chips
Cold Frozen Sweets
Is there really anything better than a big bowl of ice cream on a hot summer day…or 9pm at night while catching up on your latest Netflix binge? Try one of these frozen snack alternatives instead:
- frozen smoothie with fresh fruit and non-fat greek yogurt
- Breyers® delights – The cookies and cream has been my snack of choice lately. At just 330 calories per pint (half the calories of regular Breyers ice cream) and 20g of protein I literally have no guilt. Breyers® delights are made with high quality ingredients like real dairy and fresh cream. I like to pick it up on my trip to BJs Wholesale where it comes in a pack of 4 pints because I know my husband is going to want it too.
- fresh fruit popsicles
Chocolate and Cake Alternatives
- pure dark chocolate versus a milk chocolate candy bar
- oatmeal cookies with a natural sweetener (Find the recipe for our favorite cranberry oatmeal breakfast cookies here.)
- greek yogurt covered raisins or nuts
Be sure to check out Breyers® delights and find a retailer near you. I highly recommend the Cookies and Cream flavor, but there are certainly more varieties as well! Not all snacking needs to leave you guilt ridden. Choose one of the snack alternatives listed above and you’ll be off to a great start and better version of you!